[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NIDD, a parish-town, in the lower division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; (Nidd Hall, the seat of Francis Trapps, Esq.) 2 miles NE. of Ripley, 3½ from Knaresborough, 21½ from York. Pop. 86. The Church (see Churches for photograph) is a vicarage, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£3. 6s. 10½d. p.r. !£110. Patron, the King, as Duke of Lancaster."
"NEWTON HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Nidd; the house being within the township and parish of Nidd; but nearly the whole of the land is in Ripley. 1 mile NE. of Ripley.
This was formerly a seat of the ancient family of the Vavasours, a branch of which resided here, before the year 1570, and after the year 1610, as appears by the parish register. The situation is on a small eminence, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. Over the front door, is a shield of arms, containing those of Vavasour, Ingilby, and several others. The estate, consisting of upwards of 404 acres of land, was lately purchased by Matthew Thackwray of Harrogate, Esq. and is now, by purchase of the late Sir John Ingilby, the property of the present Sir William Amcotts Ingilby, Bart."
- Transcript of the entry for Nidd in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Nidd.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nidd to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE305598 (Lat/Lon: 54.03329, -1.535835), Nidd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Memorial Plaque in St. Paul's Church, Nidd.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE303590) Holme Bottom
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.