[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORMANTON, a parish-town, in Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles NE. of Wakefield, 5 from Pontefract, 25 from York. Pop. 250.
The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£7. p.r. £150. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. In this Church is buried the celebrated James Torre, Esq. whose manuscript collections of the Ecclesiastical Antiquities of this county stand unrivalled. He died at Snydale, in this parish, July 31, 1699. --Drake's Ebor. Preface.
Here is a Grammar School, founded and endowed with £10. per annum, by John Fraston, Esq. in the year 1591, for all scholars of his sir name, and thirty others, out of the parishes of Normanton and Warmfield. The money is paid out of the University of Oxford."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Normanton.
- The Methodist Church (1903), Normanton. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Baptist Church, Normanton.
- The Roman Catholic Church, Normanton.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Altofts.
- The Methodist Church, Altofts.
- The Methodist Church, Streethouse.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Normanton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the White's General and Commercial Directory, of Wakefield, Horbury, Alverthorpe, Sandal Magna, Stanley and Normanton - 1887
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Normanton to another place.
- Information about Streethouse
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE383226 (Lat/Lon: 53.69844, -1.421385), Normanton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE395231) Hopetown
- (SE381240) Lower Altofts
- (SE408210) Snydale Hall
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.