Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NORMANTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 4,110 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. -Population, 899 *1; Church-room, 450; Net value, £142. -This Church was given by Roger de Peiteuin, Lord of Altofts, to the Preceptory of Newland, to which house it was appropriated in 1410, and a Vicarage ordained therein 13th October, A.D. 1413 ; previous to which, viz., 18th Kal. February, A.D. 1310, an ordination relative to tithes was made by William, Archbishop of York.
At the Dissolution, the patronage was given to Trinity College, Cambridge, who are also the impropriators.
The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16 per annum, and the Vicarage, in the King's books, at £7 per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 269, at £40 per annum.
" The tithes reserved for the Vicar are wool, lamb, geese, pigs, ducks, line, and hemp. Several things lost by neglect, which are now paid by composition. Annual value about £50" Signed, " Win. Herbert, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 575.
There is a pension of £2. 6s. 8d. paid to the Vicar by the College, and he has fifty acres of glebe.
Inclosure Acts were passed the 44th Geo. III. and 49th Geo. III. (Altofts.)
James Torre, whose MSS. are so frequently quoted, died at Snydall, and was interred in Normanton Church.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1538, but they are imperfect until 1593.
Vicar, with the concurrence of some of the principal inhabitants, appoints the master. It is now merely an English school, and twenty scholars are considered as free.
Elizabeth Levett's charity. Dividends of £225 three per cent. consols, half for teaching poor girls, and the other half to the poor : widows to receive a double share.
Other Poor Funds. £6. 13s. 4d.. left by Mrs. Jane Toone, and £30, benefactor not stated. Interest not paid since 1788. The Commissioners expressed their hopes that the arrears would be paid up.
Repairs of the Church. Rent of 24a. 1r. 21p. of land, and farm-house and cottage, from ancient times appropriated to the repairs of the Church. The Vicar and two other persons are trustees. At the time of the Report, the estate was let for £37. 3s. per annum. The premises had been repaired, and there was an accumulation of £120 then lodged in a bank.
Repairs of Church Clock. 10s. per annum, left by Sir Edward Lake, out of a close at Bishop Norton, in Lincolnshire.
Snydall Poor. Rent of an acre of land, distributed to four poor widows. Snydall Doles. 18s. 4d. and 2s. per annum. -Vide 16th Report, page 409. NEWLAND. -The Preceptory of Newland was situate within this parish.
Post town: Wakefield.
Torre's MS., page 769. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Ashmole MS. (Bodleian) No. 8,518. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 807. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 166-343.
*1 Viz.: Altofts, 802; Normanton, 283; and Snydall, 114. In the township of Altofts, forty-one men are employed in excavating a canal.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.