Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NUN MONKTON. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Augmented perpetual Curacy.
Area, 1,250 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 398 ; Church-room, 250; Net value, £78.
Patron and impropriator, J. Tuffnell, Esq.
Inclosure Act 17th Geo. III.
Glebe house unfit.
The Register Books commence in 1708. -Vide transcripts of earlier date at Richmond.
Marshall's gift. £10 per annum.
Wilson's charity, vide York Charities, page 40. £5 per annum for teaching twelve poor children. -Vide 3rd Report, page 475.
Torre's MS., page 1459. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Monucheton), page 54. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 370.
PRIORY OF NUN MONKTON. -A Benedictine Nunnery was founded here in the time of King Stephen, by William de Arches and Ivetta his wife.
Mon. Angl., vol. iv. page 192.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.