"NUN MONKTON, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from York, containing 344 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant. S. J. Tuffnell, Esq. was patron in 1815. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, formerly belonged to a priory of Benedictine nuns, founded in the reign of Stephen, by William de Arches and Ivetta his wife, which, before the dissolution, possessed a revenue of £85. 14. 8. There is a place of worship forWesleyan Methodists. A school for twelve poor boys was founded and endowed by Thomas and Leonard Wilson, about 1716; and another, for the like number of girls, by Mary and Dorothy Wilson; the annual income is £30."