The Ancient Parish of OWSTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OWSTON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract, (Owston Hall, the seat of Phillip Davis Cook, Esq.) 6 miles N. of Doncaster, 10 from Pontefract, 31 from York. Pop. 306. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£7. 0s. 2½d. p.r. £100. Patron, Phillip Davis Cook, Esq."
"CARCROFT, scattered farm-houses, in the township and parish of Owston, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles NW. of Doncaster."
"ROBIN HOODS WELL, a hamlet east side in the township of Burghwallis, and parish of Owston, west side in the township and parish of Skellbrook; 6¾ miles NW. of Doncaster." (There is further information for Robin Hoods Well).
"SKELLOW, in the parish of Owston, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles NW. of Doncaster, 10 from Pontefract. Pop. 146."
"SKELLOW GRANGE, a hamlet (the seat of Godfrey Higgins, Esq.) in the township of Skellow, and parish of Owston, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles from Doncaster, 9 from Pontefract."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Owston (view 1).
- All Saints' Church, Owston (view 2).
- The Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Skellow.
- The Roman Catholic Church, Skellow.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The Evangelical Church, Skellow.
- The former Wesleyan Church, Skellow.
- The former Methodist Church, Skellow, now a Tae Kwon Do centre.
- Transcript of the entry for Owston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Owston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Owston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE552112 (Lat/Lon: 53.594477, -1.167463), Owston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Churchyard at Owston:
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.