[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"PANNAL, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro; 2½ miles S. of Harrogate, 5½ from Knaresborough, 6 from Ripley, 8 from Otley, 23½ from York. Pop. 1,314. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Robert (see Churches
for photograph), Knaresborough, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£5. 5s. Patron, the Rev. R.B. Hunter.
The first Minister that occurs, is John Brown, one of the brethren of the house of St. Robert, Knaresborough, 1348: and in the following year, the church was given, by the Earl of Cornwall, to the brethren of the said Priory.
Pannal was anciently called Rosehurst, by contraction, Rossett. --History of Knaresborough."
"BECKWITH, scattered houses, in the township and parish of Pannal, liberty of Knaresborough; 2½ miles from Harrogate."
"BECKWITH GREEN, and Beckwithshaw, in the parish of Pannal, liberty of Knaresborough; 2½ miles from Harrogate.
The original seat of the ancient family of Beckwith, the last remains of whose property here, was purchased about the year 1753, by Edwin Lacelles, Esq. of Mr. John Beckwith, of Knaresborough, a lineal descendant of that ancient house. --Hargrove."
"BRACKENTHWAITE, scattered hs. in the township and parish of Pannal; 5½ miles S. of Ripley, 6 from Knaresborough."
"CRIMPLE HOUSE, (the residence of Mrs. Bainbridge,) in the township and parish of Pannal; 2 miles from Harrogate, 5 from Knaresborough."
"LOW HARROGATE, in the township and parish of Pannal, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3½ miles from Knaresborough. Principal Inns, the Crown, White Hart, Swan, Crescent, and Hotel.
Please note:The modern (2001) Harrogate is a large town which combines the old Low Harrogate (Pannal Parish) and High Harrogate (Knaresborough Parish). As the borders of the parishes changed several times, in order to avoid confusion, all Harrogate data (Churches, War memorials, etc. etc) is included with Knaresborough parish."
"LUND HOUSE GREEN, scattered houses in the township and parish of Pannal; 5½ miles SW. of Knaresborough."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]