Pannal, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1834.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"PANNAL, a parish in the lower division of Claro."
"HARROGATE, is divided into two villages, High and Low Harrogate, in the parishes of Knaresborough and Pannal, in the wapentake of Claro. Both villages have their respective mineral springs ; the principal chalybeate springs being situate at the former, and the sulphurous and saline at the latter place. They are now distant about half a mile from each other, but the approximation of the two places, by the continual erection of new buildings will, at no remote period, render the distinction of High and Low unnecessary. High Harrogate is in the parish of Knaresbro' and diocese of Chester ; Low Harrogate is in the parish of Pannal and diocese of York.
They are both in the liberty of Knaresbro', from which town they are distant from 3 to 4 miles ; 11 s. from Ripon, between 15 and 16 n. from Leeds, 22 w. from York, and at nearly an equal distance of about 200 miles from the capitals of London and Edinburgh. The various hotels and boarding houses, for the accommodation of the company, are conducted upon a scale, in no way inferior, and in many respects superior to most watering places in the kingdom, and commodious and elegant lodging houses annually increase. Harrogate is now considered the principal watering place in the north of England : the season commences early in the spring, and continues to the latter end of autumn. It is estimated that there have been, of late years, upwards of ten thousand visitors annually, and many prolong their stay over the winter. Hunter, on the waters of Harrogate, says, "The nature and principal variety of the Harrogate mineral waters, hitherto discovered, have been long known to the profession, and their beneficial effects extensively experienced by the public ; nor have they attained their present celebrity by any of those adventitious circumstances, which, at one time, caused similar springs to be resorted to, and in a few years leave them entirely deserted ; for, with only one exception, no other mineral springs in England have obtained a longer, more extensive, and equally increasing reputation."
The places for public worship under the establishment are, Christ's church, at High Harrogate, built in 1830-31, and opened for public worship on the 1st of October, in the latter year, the old chapel having been taken down : the Rev. Thomas Kennion is the perpetual curate : also a church, at Low Harrogate, built in 1823-4 ; of which the Rev. James Holme is the perpetual incumbent. A commodious methodist chapel, erected in 1824, is situated between the Harrogates ; and a chapel for independents was erected in 1832, near Prospect place, principally from the materials of the old church. The principal charitable institution is the Bath Hospital, at Low Harrogate, erected in 1824, for the purpose of affording gratuitous relief to poor persons, who come from a distance, and whose complaints require the use of the Harrogate waters ; R. Richardson, Esq. is the treasurer, and Mr. Palliser the secretary ; here is also a school for children, of both sexes, on the Lancasterian system. At High Harrogate is an endowed school for a limited number of children of the poor ; there are also four Sunday schools, a national school, on Bell's system ; and an infant's school, has recently been erected. The principal places of amusement and public resort are the promenade and reading rooms, halls, billiards, races, circulating libraries, and last (though not least), the tower on Harlow hill, near Low Harrogate. This is a most agreeable resort for the visitor, where hours may be pleasantly spent in the survey of the many interesting objects with which the surrounding country abound ; from hence, the spectator is gratified with a most ample and varied prospect. There are five or six excellent telescopes placed on the platform of the tower, with which objects may be examined at the distance of from 20 to upwards of 60 miles. The public improvements which are in operation, and others which are contemplated, bid fair to render this once obscure village, one of the most salubrious and delightful resorts to be found in England. Two suits of public baths are in the course of erection -- one situated near the promenade rooms ; the other, possessing greater local advantages, are constructing in the Crown gardens, contiguous to the crown well, and a recently discovered Cheltenham spring. The situation of the village is high, the air cool and salubrious, and the prospect from High Harrogate and the adjoining heights is rich, beautiful, and extensive. York Minster, at the distance already mentioned, may be distinctly seen ; and still further to the east, the view is terminated by the Yorkshire wolds and Hambledon hills, while the west is more directly, though distantly bounded by the bleak rugged moors of Craven. The population has rapidly increased within the last twenty years, and has fully kept pace with the growing importance of this now fashionable place. Making due allowance for the few visitors who were necessarily included in the census of 1831, the population of both Harrogates is estimated at nearly 4,000."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]