Hide

PANNAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"PANNAL, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from Wetherby, containing, with a part of the township of Swindon, 1314 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Court of the Honour of Knaresborough, rated in the king's books at £5. 5., endowed with £323 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The Rev. R. B. Hunter was patron in 1816. The church is dedicated to St. Robert of Knaresborough. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Five poor children are educated for a trifling annuity, the gift of Richard Wright, in 1813."


"SWINDON, a township partly in the parish of PANNAL, lower division, and partly in that of KIRKBY OVERBLOW, upper division, of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Wetherby, containing 52 inhabitants. It is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the Honour Court of Knaresborough."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]