PANNAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1837.
"PANNAL, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro."
"HARROGATE, is in the parishes of Knaresborough and Pannal, is celebrated for its sulphurous and chalybeate springs, is one of the most fashionable watering places in the North of England, as will be seen with its history and the analysis of its medicinal waters, in the second volume of this work. It occupies an elevated and salubrious situation, 2.1/2 miles S W of Knaresbrough, 15.1/2 miles N of Leeds and 22 miles W of York, being in Claro Wapentake. Its population has encreased since 1801, from 1600 to upwards of 3500 souls (See Vol II)." - -(See Knaresborough for directory)
[Transcribed from White's History, gazetteer and directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire 1837]