Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KNOTTINGLEY.     Church dedication: ST. BOTOLPH.

Osgoldcross wapentake, U.D. -Population, 3,666, vide Pontefract ; Chapel-room, 500 *1; Net value, £129.

Patron, the Vicar of Pontefract.

" Two miles from Pontefract. About 100 families. A town of much trading. 55s. per annum, given for ever for the maintenance of a minister, by one Nicholas Hargraves. To be made a parish of itself." -Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 397.

" To this Chapelry belongeth nearly £10 per annum in land, but sacrilegiously made use of by the inhabitants for lay services." Signed, " F. Drake, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 653.

Augmented in 1725 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Messrs. Ingram and Atkinson ; in 1741, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mrs. Dorothy Ingram ; in 1793, with £200, by lot; and, in 1809, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. J. Bailey, the incumbent, and others.

8th August 1755, faculty granted to enlarge the Chapel and build pews, £176. 12s. 7½d. having been collected under a brief.

This Chapelry is not noticed by Torre. An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The registers for baptisms commence in 1724, and for marriages in 1789.

Charities:
Mrs. Banks's charity, by will, about 1792. Interest of £200 for educating poor children. Sixteen girls taught reading, knitting, and sewing.

Elizabeth Brown's charity, 1811 and 1812. Dividends of stock bought with £200, for teaching 14 poor girls ; and under her will, £2. 10s. 4d. per annum is paid to poor widows.

Post town: Ferrybridge.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 158.


Notes:
*1 700 additional sittings (of which 500 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £500.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.