KNOTTINGLEY: Knottingley Congregational Church History up to 1868.



The Rev. B. Boothroyd, when at Pontefract, began to preach in this village occasionally, and was aided by J. Clapham, Esq., Leeds. A chapel was erected in 1807. Many unfavourable circumstances, however, marked the early history of the congregation. The pastors have been-
  • 1811. Rev. J. CHALMERS (Aberdeen Univ.). Removed to Stafford.
  • 1816. Rev. WILLIAM LEES (Rotherham Acy.). During his ministry galleries were erected. Removed 1819 to Dogley Lane.
  • 1820. Rev. J. E. Millson, from Hatfield. Resigned from ill-health 1827, and removed to Thorne.
  • 1831. Rev. WILLIAM GOTHARD, from Balderstone. Removed 1834.
  • 1845. Rev. J. DENNISTON, from Huddersfield. Ob. 1860. Much respected.
  • Brotherton,*1 Fairburn, and Knottingley were united in the year 1865. The pastor has been-
  • 1865. Rev. W. SANDERS (Rotherham Coll.), the present minister (in 1868).

* Aided by Rev. W. Sanders.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.