In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Pontefract:
"CARLETON, in the parish of Pontefract, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 1½ mile SE. of Pontefract, 3½ from Ferrybridge, 14 from Doncaster. Pop. 132."
"CATTLE LAITHE, a single house in the township and parish of Pontefract; 2 miles S. of Ferrybridge, 3 from Pontefract."
"EAST HARDWICK, in the parish of Pontefract, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles S. of Pontefract, 9½ from Wakefield. Pop. 96. Here is a donative Chapel."
"FERRYBRIDGE, a post town, in the township of Ferry Fryston, and parishes of Ferry Fryston and Pontefract, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles from Pontefract, 9 from Aberford, 11 from Snaith and Selby, 12 from Tadcaster, 15 from Doncaster and Leeds, 21 from York, 177 from London. Principal Inns, Angel, Greyhound, and Swan.
This is a neat well built village, situated on the Banks of the Aire, over which is a handsome stone bridge. The possession of this Pass occasioned a severe conflict between the armies of the houses of York and Lancaster. In the neighbourhood, human skeletons, ancient armour, and other relics of war, have frequently been found."
"KNOTTINGLEY, in the parish of Pontefract, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 1 mile E. of Ferrybridge, 3 from Pontefract, 9½ from Snaith, 15½ from Doncaster. Pop, 3,753. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Botolph (see Churches for photograph), value, p.r. £100. Patron, the Vicar of Pontefract.
A large village on the banks of the Aire, which has been long noted for its merchandise in Lime. A branch Canal from the Aire and Calder navigation, is now cutting from this place to Goole, where it will enter into the river Ouse: the distance is about seventeen miles."
"NEW HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Pontefract; 1 mile from Pontefract.
The style of this building is decidedly that which prevailed in the reign of Henry VIII. or near to that time. The date on the arms is 1591, but it must have been erected prior to that period. It is supposed to have been erected by a branch of the Talbot family, though it does not appear that any of the family resided in it: it afterwards came into the Harewood family, the present possessor. It was occupied as a farm House till within a late period. --Hist. Pontefract. It is now little more than a ruin. (This house was demolished in the mid 20th century Colleen Rawlinson 2010)"
"SPITTAL HARDWICK, a farm-house in the township, liberty and parish of Pontefract; 1 mile N. of Pontefract."
"TANSHELF, in the parish of Pontefract, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract. Pop. 356. Adjoins Pontefract on the west."