[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RAVENFIELD, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (Ravenfield Hall, the seat of the Rev. William Hedges) 4 miles from Rotherham, 8 from Tickhill, 9 from Doncaster, 45 from York. Pop. 187. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. James, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, !£117. Patron, the Archdeacon of York. It was formerly a Chapel to Mexborough."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Ravenfield in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Ravenfield.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ravenfield to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK486952 (Lat/Lon: 53.451327, -1.269648), Ravenfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.