Hide

RAVENFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"RAVENFIELD, a parish in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 9 from Doncaster and Stickhill. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. It took its name from the erection of the Danish standard here during the northern incursions of that people in the 9th century. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a square tower containing six bells. The church was erected in 1756 on the site of the former one. The parochial charities produce about £32 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, partly maintained by T. B. Bosvile, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The principal residence is Ravensfield Park, formerly the seat of the Wesleys and Bosviles."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013