RAWMARSH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"RAWMARSH, is a considerable village, in the parish of its name, in the same wapentake and riding as Rotherham, two miles north from that town, containing, in its vicinity, the extensive steel works of Messrs. William Oxley & Co., and the large manufactory for sheet iron and tin plates, belonging to Messrs. Swann, Thornley and Co., there are besides some considerable potteries. The places of worship are, the church, dedicated to St. Mary, and two chapels for dissenters. The living of Rawmarsh is a rectory, in the patronage of the crown. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,538 inhabitants.
Please see Rotherham Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]