RAWMARSH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"RAWMARSH, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Rotherham, containing 1259 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 8. 7. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St.-Mary. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Here is a manufacture of coarse earthenware. Thomas Wilson, in 1653, enfeoffed A school-house, messuage, and land,-for the free education of poor children; the annual income, arising from this and various other gifts and bequests, is now about £6.2, for which from forty to fifty receive instruction."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]