RAWMARSH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"RAWMARSH, a parish in the N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2½ miles N.E. of Rotherham, and 7 from Sheffield. It is a station on the Doncaster and Sheffield branch of the North Midland, which runs through the parish. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Don. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of steel, iron, and earthenware, and in the collieries. Above half of the land is arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. The substratum abounds with coal. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1774, and the glebe comprises 140 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £402, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1839, with the exception of the tower, which is ancient. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The charities produce about £65 per annum, besides almshouses founded by Edward Goodwin for six aged women. There are National schools for both sexes partially endowed."
"HAUGH, two hamlets, distinguished as Upper and Lower, in the parish of Rawmarsh, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Rotherham."
"KILNHURST, a hamlet in the township of Swinton, and parish of Rawmarsh, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Rotherham."
"STUBBIN, a hamlet in the parish of Rawmarsh, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Rotherham."
"THORNCLIFFE, a village in the parish of Rawmarsh, wapentake of North Strafforth, West Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Rotherham, and 5½ from Sheffield. It contains several collieries and ironworks, and has a joint station for Chapeltown and Thorncliffe on the South Yorkshire and Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013