Hide

RAWMARSH: Rawmarsh Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

RAWMARSH.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

From this village, many years ago, a considerable number of persons used to attend Masborough Chapel morning and afternoon. During "the time of the Walkers," of Masborough, the large vestry of the chapel was filled with people who came from neighbouring villages, some of them many miles distant. Here they would partake of refreshments which they had brought with them, and of beer provided by the kindness of the Walker family. Returning home after the second service, a student from the College in their company, they and their families gathered together for evening worship. A small chapel was erected in 1823.

In 1865 a new chapel was built, which, under the ministry of the present pastor, the Rev. T. Fisher, has proved too small.

NOTES:-
* Communicated by Rev. Dr. Falding,


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.