Claro wapentake, L.D. -Population, vide Ripon; Chapel-room, 200; Value, £72.
At the time of the Survey, Dolfin held as the King's tenant half a carucate.
The Archbishop of York also held lands which belonged to the soke of Ripon with villanes and bordars ; value in King Edward's time £32, then only £7. 10s.
Gospatric held also two carucates of land formerly belonging to Archil.
Studley Magna was given for a Prebend in the Collegiate Church of Ripon. Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Prebendaries.
The town contained three parts of a knight's fee, and was held by William de Aldfield of Roger de Mowbray, who held it of the King in capite.
Patroness, Mrs. Lawrence.
The Curacy was valued in 1818, at £74 per annum *1.
Augmented in 1724, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200from J. Aislabie, Esq.; and in 1776, with £200; and in 1786, with £200 -both by lot.
The Chapel was rebuilt about the year 1782. The font, which is of grey marble, is supposed to have been brought from Fountains. Abbey; the bason, which is carved, stands on a pyramidical cluster of four columns with a square base. The old Chapel is supposed to have been built about the twelfth century.
No glebe house.
The Registers are included in Ripon.
George Smith's charity, by will, dated 15th August 1640. Tithes of corn, wool, and lamb, with certain payments in lieu of tithes of hay at Aldby (except the tithes of Mallerd Grange), let, at the time of the Report, for £40 per annum, for the benefit of the poor or for some other charitable and pious purpose : 35s. per annum is expended in a dinner, £10. 10s. to the National School, and the residue to the poor in sums of £1 to £1. 5s. apiece.
TOWNSHIP OP STUDLEY ROGER.
George Teasdale's charity, by will, dated 8th March 1649. Rent of twelve acres of land and four houses, let, at the time of the Report, for £25. 10s. per annum, distributed among the labouring poor. -Vide 7th Report, pages 492. 501.
Post town: Ripon.
Burton's Monasticon, page 289. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Aldefelt), pages 36. 55. 219. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. v. (new series), page 497.
*1 In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 138, it is stated ; "No maintenance. One Thomas Jackson, clerk, performeth the Cure there upon a voluntary subscription of the inhabitants." >A decree was given in the Exchequer in Easter Term, 27th Eliz., vide Slemingford, but which is unreported.
FOUNTAINS ABBEY. -A mitred Cistercian Abbey, for an Abbot, Prior, and thirty Monks, founded A.D. 1132, with the assistance of Archbishop Thurston. The Monastery was burnt in 1140, but magnificently rebuilt before 1245.
Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 285.