Area, vide Ripon. Ripon liberty. Population, vide Ripon ; Chapel-room, 350; Net value, £108.
The manor of Monkton juxta Ripon, parcel of the ancient possessions of the Archbishops of York, gave denomination to one of the old Prebends in the Church of Ripon. Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Prebendaries.
Here was a Chapel founded by William Russell, a hermit, which was dedicated to the honour of the Virgin Mary and St. Helen, and on the 5th December, 1354, a letter of request was granted to ask and receive throughout the whole province of York, the charitable alms of 12 all faithful and well disposed people, towards the relief of the fabric thereof.
Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon.
The Chapel was rebuilt in 1822.
Valued in 1707, at £27 *1; and in 1818, at £65 per annum.
Augmented in 1745, with £200; in 1751, with £200; in 1781, with £200; in 1788, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary Grant ; and in 1824, with £600 from the same Grant -all by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 47th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Parish Registers are entered at Ripon.
Poor's Money. Two rents-charge of 15s. and 10s. respectively. -Vide 7th Report, page 765.
Post town: Ripon.
Torre's MS., page 20. 101.
*1 In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 138, it is stated to have " Neither Minister nor maintenance."