Hide

UPPER MILL: Upper Mill Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

UPPER MILL.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

The chapel at Upper Mill arose (1807) from the efforts of two lay preachers, J. Winterbottom and J. Buckley, who has been associated with the New Connexion. It was bought and transferred to the Independents by some friends from the Independent Chapel, Delph, about 1830.
  • 1832. Rev. REUBEN CALVERT (Airedale College).
  • Mr. Calvert left for Hyde 1841, and is now dead.
  • 1841 Rev. R. THOMPSON, M.A., horn Middlesboro. Mr. T. removed to Upminster in 1843. Mr. Thompson is now without charge.
  • 1845. Rev. J. REEVE, from Aspatria. Mr. R. removed to Morley 149, and is now at Stowmarket, Suffolk.
  • 1849. Rev. S. DYSON (Lancashire College). Mr. D. left 1856 for Idle.
  • 1857. Rev. T. STURGESS. Mr. S. left 1859, and retired from the ministry
  • 1861. Rev. W. BURROWS (B.A., London Univ ), (Lancashire Coll.), the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Rev. W. Burrows.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.