Area, 2,930 acres. Soke of Doncaster. -Population, 325 ; Church-room, 130; Net value, £659. -An ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the Lords Mauley, from whom it came to the Salvins, and then to the Crown. King Henry VII. granted the Advowson to the corporation of Doncaster, who presented until the passing of the Municipal Act, and it is now-(April 1839) upon sale under the provisions of that Act.
Valued in the King's Books at £11. 1s. 5½d.
Glebe house fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1538.
William Plarton's gift, by deed, 1650. rent charge of £6. 13s. 4d. per annum, for a free school for teaching the children of the inhabitants, as well the poor as the rich, to read English, to understand Latin, and to write a fair and legible hand, About twenty children are taught reading, writing, and accounts, but at the time of the Report it had been customary to pay a small quarterage for the instruction of all the children.
John Hall's gift, by will, 28th June 1670. rent charge of 5s. per annum to the poor. -Vide 17th Report, page 797.