"ROSSINGTON, a parish in the soke of DONCASTER, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Bawtry, containing 383 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry, of Nottingham, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £11. 1. 5., and in the patronage of R. Bower, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. In the church- yard are several good monuments, and near the entrance to the choir, under a stone, lie the remains of James Boswell, the King of the Gipsies, who died in January 1708. Annual visits were formerly made to his grave by gipsies, who, amongst other ceremonies, used to pour a flagon of ale on it. A free school, founded here in 1650, by William Plaxton, is supported by a rent-charge of £6. 13. 4., left by him, and £10 per annum allowed by the corporation of Doncaster, for which twenty children are taught free."