Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: TINSLEY.     Church dedication: ST. LAWRENCE.

Area, vide Rotherham. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S. D. -Population, 368 *2, vide Rotherham ; Church-room, 250; Net value, £124.

Patron and impropriator, Earl Fitzwilliam.

The ancient parochial Church or Chapel (says Thoresby) of St. Lawrence, at Tinsley, having all its endowment taken away (except £4. 18s.) about the time of Henry VIII., has been decayed and rained for many years. The Hon. Thomas Wentworth rebuilt this Church in 1710, inclosed fifteen acres of the common, and settled them upon the Church, with a rent-charge of £15 per annum payable out of two parts of the tithes of Tinsley, which he lately bought. He also fenced the church-yard, and gave a Bible, Common Prayer-Book, surplice, silver salver, and chalice to the Church, and founded a parochial library. His lady also gave a velvet cloth and fine diaper cloth for the altar, and a velvet cushion for the pulpit.

Valued in 1707, at £29. 18s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 455, it is stated to be " A mile and half from the mother Church. Sixteen families. £4. 12s. paid by the Crown. Recommended to be made a parish, and Brumsworth and White Hills to be annexed thereto."

Augmented in 1718, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Hon. Thomas Wentworth ; and in 1818, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from Earl Fitzwilliam.

10th April 1780, faculty to remove part of the north wall of the Church.

4th June 1791, ditto to erect a gallery.

A Chantry, called St. Leonard's, was founded in this Church.

For the inscriptions and catalogue of Incumbents, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1715.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Thoresby's Ducatus, page 241. Torre's MS., page 857. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 277. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 30.


Notes:
*1 Bacon calls this a Chapel to Rotherham.

*2 In 1834, the Population was returned at 289.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.