ROTHERHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"ROTHERHAM, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 4 m. from Sheffield, 126 cm. 161 mm. from London, a neat T. with a fine stone-bridge over the Don, near its conflux with the Rother, has a Ch. built in form of a cathedral, an almsh. which was formerly a college (founded by Abp. Scot, who, being a native, chose to be called Rotheram) with a Mt. on M, and a Cattle and Corn-Fair on Good-Fr. In Leland's time it was famous for the iron mf. Here is a ch. sc. for the use of which for ever, the late Ld. Malton laid out 136 l. in land."
"TEMPLE BROUGH, in the parish of Rotherham, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Don, near Conisburgh, formerly bel. also to the Kts.-Templars, the remains of whose mansion, together with the evident traces of the Ikenild-Street Roman way, that breaks out here, and is discernable plainly in the park made by the late Ld. Malton, induced some writers to think here was once a Roman station."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]