ROTHWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"ROTHWELL, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, near the road from Wakefield to Leeds, is the gaol for the liberty of Pontefract, had a colliery lately opened near it, and is the seat of Mr. Proctor."
"MIDDLETON, in the parish of Rothwell, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, near Rothwell, is a Lp. abounding with wood and coal, which bel. formerly to the Cropings; from whom it went by marriage to Sir John Merworth, and was sold to Gilbert de Legh."
"THORP ON THE HILL, in the parish of Rothwell, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the S. side of Leeds. In the neighbourhood there is supposed to have been a Roman camp; and at a place here called Lingwell-Yate, certain clay moulds were found in 1697, which, by the impressions, were supposed to have been invented for counterfeiting Roman coins."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]