The Ancient Parish of ROYSTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ROYSTON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 4½ miles N. of Barnsley, 6 from Wakefield, 9½ from Pontefract, 34 from York. Pop. 549. The Church, a spacious and well built structure, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. John the Baptist (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£17. 3s. 4d. p.r. !£107. Patron, the Archbishop of York.
Here is a Free Grammar School, founded by letters patent, in the 5th of James I. The endowment consists of a house, garden, and twenty four acres of land, amounting to about £70. per ann. and the interest of £13. is paid to the master, who also receives £4. 6s. 11d. from the Dutchy Court of Lancaster. The School is open to the boys of the parish indefinitely, free of expense. --Carlisle.
Here is also a Charity of the Lady Bolles, for the apprenticing of children."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Royston, view 1.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Royston, view 2.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Church of St. Matthew, Royston, now a gymnasium.
- St. Matthew's Wesleyan Methodist Church, Royston (an old photo).
- The Bethel Chapel, Royston. Historic note from Richard Thickett: The entrance to the chapel was, until the 1960s, only by means of the staircase at the front the access to the side was carved out later sometime after 1960/65.
- The Methodist Church, Royston.
- The Salvation Army, Royston.
- The Bethel Community Church, Royston. Its previous history is as a cinema (The Ace) and a ballroom.
- St. Paul's Church, Monk Bretton.
- St. Peter's Church, Woolley (view 1).
- St. Peter's Church, Woolley (view 2).
- St. John the Evangelist's Church, Carlton.
- The Methodist Church, Carlton (originally Wesleyan).
- The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Carlton.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Cudworth.
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Cudworth. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Lundwood.
- The Laithes Crescent Methodist Church, Athersley.
- St. Helen's Church, Athersley. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church, Athersley.
- The New Life Church, Athersley.
- The Wesleyan Reform Church, Smithies.
- The Wesleyan Reform Church, Cundy Cross.
- The Methodist Church, Cudworth.
- The Zion Wesleyan Reform Church, Cudworth.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Royston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE359111 (Lat/Lon: 53.595251, -1.459057), Royston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II memorial in St. John's churchyard, Carlton
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE344098) Athersley North
- (SE345092) Athersley South
- (SE389096) Belle Green
- (SE400073) Cudworth Common
- (SE370065) Cundy Cross
- (SE375074) Lundwood
- (SE343090) New Lodge
- (SE355082) Smithies
- (SE366085) St. Helen's
- (SE376085) West Green
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.