"ROYSTON, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, and in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding, seven miles from Wakefield and 4 n.n.e. from Barnsley. The places of worship are, the parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The living of Royston is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. John Fletcher; the Rev. Richard Spoforth is the present curate. The free grammar school here is endowed with a small annuity from the revenue of the Dutchy of Lancaster, and with a house and land, granted by the crown in 1605: the present head master is the Rev. William Cockcroft. The parish contained at the last census, 3,690 persons, and the township 597 of that number."