"SANDAL MAGNA, (or Great Magna), a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Crigglestone, Great Sandall, Walton, and part of that of West Bretton, and containing 2692 inhabitants, of which number, 388 are in the township of Great Sandall, 2 miles S.E. from Wakefield. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 13. 7. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. Richard Taylor, in 1686, bequeathed certain houses in Wakefield, producing an annual income of £18, of which sum, £10 is paid for teaching eight poor children, and £ 6 to two widows in almshouses founded by the same individual. There are two other almshouses for poor women, founded by George Grice, and rebuilt in 1823. A castle was built here, about 1320, by John Plantagenet, the last Earl of Warren, for his favourite mistress, Maude, the wife of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster. It was occupied by Edward Baliol in the reign of Edward III., during the preparations for placing him on the Scottish throne. It subsequently became the residence of Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, and lastly of the Duke of Gloucester, afterwards Richard III. During the great civil war it was held for Charles I., till surrendered in 1645, and in 1646 it was completely demolished, insomuch that there are now only a few very inconsiderable fragments."
"CHAPEL THORPE, a chapelry in the parish of Sandal Magna, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Wakefield. The population is returned with, the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Great Sandall, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. James."
"CRIGGLESTONE, a township in that part of the parish of SANDAL MAGNA, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Wakefield, containing 1265 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Here are two tanneries and several malt-kilns."
"WALTON, a township in the parish of SANDAL MAGNA, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Wakefield, containing 385 inhabitants."
"WEST BRETTON, a chapelry partly in the parish of SANDAL MAGNA, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, but chiefly in the parish of SILKSTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.W. from Barnesley, containing'518 inhabitants. The chapel is dependent on the church at Silkstone."