[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SAXTON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Tadcaster, 9 from Ferrybridge, 11 from Pontefract, 14 from York. Pop. including Scarthingwell, 378, which being united, form a township. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, p.r. !£72. 10s. Patron, Richard O. Gascoigne, Esq." (There is further information for Saxton).
"BARKSTON ASH, in the parishes of Sherburn in Elmet and Saxton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash (which takes its name from this place), liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles E. of Aberford, 5 from Tadcaster, 11 from Pontefract. Pop. 251."
"COCKBRIDGE, in the parish of Saxton, wapentake of Barkston Ash; 2 miles S. of Tadcaster."
"SCARTHINGWELL, (the seat of the Hon. Lord Hawke) in the township and parish of Saxton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles S. of Tadcaster, 8 from Ferrybridge, 10 from Pontefract. Pop. included in Saxton."
"TOWTON, in the parish of Saxton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; (Towton Hall, the seat of the Hon. Martin Bladen Hawke,) 2 miles S. of Tadcaster, 10 from Ferrybridge, 12 from Pontefract. Pop. 94." (There is further information for Towton).
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Saxton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Saxton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Saxton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE476368 (Lat/Lon: 53.825297, -1.278354), Saxton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.