Hide

Sedbergh

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"SEDBERGH, a market and parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 5 miles from Dent, 11 from Kendal and Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 13 from Kirkby Stephen, (ditto) 14½ from Hawes, 22 from Askrigg, 25 from Lancaster, (Lanc.) 77 from York, 265 from London. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, March 20; October 29, for horned cattle, &c. Principal Inns, Kings Arms, and Old Black Bull. Pop. 2,022. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Kirby Lonsdale, diocese of Chester, value, ~£12. 8s. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge." (There is further information for Sedbergh).

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Birk House
  • Blandsgill
  • Brigg Flatts
  • Broadfield
  • Cautley
  • Crook Of Lune
  • Dandry Mire
  • Deepdale
  • Dent
  • Dowbiggin
  • Frostrow
  • Garsdale
  • Gawthorpe
  • Grisedale
  • Howgill
  • Ingmire Hall
  • Kirthwaite
  • Leniker
  • Little Town
  • Lordland
  • Marthwaite
  • Milthrop
  • Moorthwaite Bridge
  • Scotchergill
  • Settlebeck
  • Soolbank
  • Thorns Hall
  • Thwaites
  • Winterscale
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
Hide
topup

Census

  • Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
    • Dent: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
    • Garsdale: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
  • Neville Randall has transcribed indexes to the Sedbergh Census for 1891. There are four files available all of which contain all the names for the appropriate district:
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Community Websites

topup

Description & Travel

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD656922 (Lat/Lon: 54.324209, -2.530402), Sedbergh which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
    • (SD755870) Cowgill
    • (SD668895) Lenacre
    • (SD685860) North Lord's Land
    • (SD705885) South Lord's Land
topup

Societies