Area, 50,290 acres. Ewcross wapentake. -Population, 4,711 *1; Church-room, 550; Net value, £184. -The Church was given, by Sir Ralph le Scrope, to Coverham Abbey, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained 9th April 1332.
Patrons and impropriators,Trinity College, Cambridge.
Valued in the King's Books, at £12. 8s. 1½d.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1605 ; the first book very imperfect. Charities. -The Free Grammar School.
Founded by Roger Lupton, Clerk, 5th Edward VI. Patrons ; the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. Free for all boys from any quarter properly qualified to enter upon an education for grammatical learning without restriction. The school was much neglected before 1819; thirty-nine scholars at the time of the Report. Endowment; 487a. 1r. 35p. of land, which produces about £500 annual rent. -Vide 17th Report, page 773.
UNDER THE ORDER OF THE GOVERNORS OF THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL. -Townend estate. Some buildings, and about eight acres of land.
The Whinn's estate. Farm, and 24a. 2r. of land.
The Mill Beck estate. Rent of a farm and twenty acres of land.
Rent charge, £4. 15s. per annum.
Turnpike-money. Interest of £210.
Holmes's gift. Interest on £300. 2s. 6d. The produce of the above is expended in supporting a scholar for three years at the university, in bread for the poor, in clothing poor children, and in donations in money to poor householders.
Marthwaite's school-money. £2 per annum, for teaching four poor children.
Atkinson and others' money. Interest of £36, in money and bread. -Vide 17th Report, page 773, and 13th Report, page 657.
Torre's MS., page 1777. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Sedberge), page 41. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 921. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 356. Bodleian MSS. Athmol. Cat. No. 8618. Gilbert's Liber Scholasticus, page 306.
*1 Viz. Dent, 1,840; Garsdale, 657 ; Sedbergh, 2,214.