Hide

DENT: Dent Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

DENT.

After the preaching of George Whitefield at Dent, a small chapel was erected, which afterwards fell into the hands of the Episcopalians. Subsequently, the Rev. John Hill, then minister of Ravenstonedale, seventeen miles distant, preached once a month in a chapel or barn. Under his ministry, the conversion of James Batty took place. A church was formed March 31, 1809. The ministers have been-
  • 1809. Rev. -- HELSALL. He continued minister till 1818.
  • 1820. Rev. JAMES BATTY. He began to preach also at Sedberg, and afterwards at Hawes, and laboured earnestly amidst many perplexing and discouraging difficulties. After a considerable period of decayed energy, Mr. Batty died, April 7, 1856, in the 36th year of his ministry, aged 77.
  • 1853. Rev. WILLIAM KELSEY. He retired from Dent, June, 1866.
  • 1867. Rev. J. BARNFATHER (from Ravenstonedale). The present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.