SEDBERGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SEDBERGH, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Sedbergh, and the chapelries of Dent and Garsdale, and containing 4483 inhabitants, of which number, 2022 are in the town of Sedbergh, 77 miles W.N.W. from York, and 260 N.N.W. from London. This town is situ- atcd in a secluded vale, in a mountainous district, and contains two cotton mills, in which several persons are employed. Coal is obtained from a mine rather more than two miles distant, near which the river Rother passes. The market, now almost disused, is on Wednesday; and fairs are held on March 20th, the Wednesday in Whitsun-week, and October 29th, chiefly for live stock. A constable is annually elected by the ley payers, and a court for the recovery of small debts has been recently instituted. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and dio- cese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. The free grammar school was founded and endowed by Roger Lupton, D.D., Provost of Eton College, in the 5th of Edward VI., for all boys duly qualified to enter upon a course of classical instruction, without restriction; by his Majesty's letters patent it was ordained, that there should be one master and one usher, and twelve of the inhabitants of Sedbergh were incorporated governors; his Majesty likewise endowed the school with the rectory and church of Weston, and various messuages and lands, now producing a rental of £ 500, which sum is paid to the master, who allows the usher £100 per annum; the appointment to the mastership is vested in the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, who are visitors; from thirty to forty boys are educated. Exhibitions to two fellowships and eight scholarships in St. John's College, Cambridge, were founded in favour of this school, by Dr. Lupton; one fellowship and two scholarships, in the same college, were also founded for boys from this school, by Henry Hebblethwayte, citizen and draper of London; and a further exhibition for one of the scholars, being a native of Sedbergh, to either of the Universities, is given by the governors, as the appropriation of three bequests at their disposal. A small annual sum, the interest of various bequests, is applied towards the instruction of poor children. At Howgill, in this parish, is a school, erected near the chapel, and endowed with land by John Robinson, the income of which is £26 per annum; about sixty children are instructed."
"DENT, a chapelry in the parish of SEDBERGH, western division of the wapentake of. STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.E. from Sedbergh, containing 1782 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with-£400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Sedbergh. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a place of worship for Independents. A free grammar school was founded for the maintenance of a master and an usher, by charter of James I., who ordained that it should be placed under the direction of fifteen governors, who are a body corporate; it is not known by whom it was endowed, but the income is about £ 28 a year, and there are from twenty to thirty pupils, some of whom are taught the classics."
"GARSDALE, a chapelry in the parish of SEDBERGH, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E. from Sedbergh, containing 679 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a small sum for the education of children."
"HOWGILL, a chapelry in the parish of SEDBERGH, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Sedbergh. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Sedbergh."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]