Sedbergh, Memorial Plaque transcription:
The Plaque in memory of R.H. Quick
, Vicar 1883-1887 in St. Andrew's Church, Sedbergh.
is placed here by the parishioners of
in grateful remembrance of the
faithful labours of
ROBERT HERBERT QUICK,
Vicar 1883 - 1887.
Eight Bells were placed in the Belfry
in 1897 by his widow as a memorial to him.
They bear Latin inscriptions of which
the following are translations:
1. To the glory of God and in memory of
Robert Herbert Quick, Vicar of this Parish.
1883-1887given by his widow, 1897.
"Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory."
2. "Time passeth away.
Work while it is day.
Watch and pray."
3. "Day by day we magnify thee."
(Daily Service Bell)
4. "Lift up your hearts, We lift them up unto the Lord."
(Holy Communion Bell)
5. "Lord, how lettest Thou thy servant depart in peace."
6. "Holy Virgin, Mother of Christ, Queen of Heaven."
7. "Christ, King of Heaven, may this sound please thee."
8. "May this bell be blessed by the Holy Trinity."
The last three bells originally cast early in the
15th Century bear the inscriptions then placed upon them.
Douglas S. Guy, Vicar
John Wadeson )
George Sedgewick ) Churchwardens
Festival of St. Andrew, 1897.
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson