Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4


If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.



Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ATTERCLIFFE.     Church dedication: HOLY JESUS.

Area, vide Sheffield. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. -Population, 3,741, vide Sheffield *1; Chapel-room, 2,000 *2; Net value, £194.

Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.

Valued in 1707 at £10; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 442, it is stated to be " Near two miles from the parish Church. But £10 per annum maintenance, which was given by several inhabitants. About 250 families. To be made a parish, and the town and places of Grymsthorpe, nether part of Brightside and Bierley, in the parish of Sheffield, to be united and annexed to the same parish ;" and in 1818, at £40 per annum.

" The Chapel was erected about 1629, at the cost of Stephen Bright and William Spencer, gents. and others of the inhabitants of Attercliffe, Daynall, and Carbrook, three hamlets next adjoining to it, and at the time of the consecration was endowed with £10 per annum, and land set forth for the payment of the same. Mr. Bright set forth land for the payment of £5 per annum ; Mr. Spencer, for the yearly payment of 40s, and other inhabitants aforesaid set forth so much as made up the said £10, besides which there are several new seats erected in a gallery, for which there hath been formerly paid the sum of 40s.; but since these late Acts of Parliament about the land tax, for the payment of 3s or 4s. in the pound, Sir Henry Liddell, who now holds the said Mr. Bright's estate, hath deducted something yearly for the said land tax, and by reason that there is a meeting house for Dissenters in Attercliffe, some of the new erected seats stand empty, and are unpaid for." Signed " Danl. Leech, minister." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 832.

The Chapel was consecrated on Wednesday the 27th October 1636, by Richard, Bishop of Sodor.

In 1740, a faculty was granted to Mr. Fell and Mr. Milner, to build a gallery in the north side of the Church, and to let the pews. In 1793, the parties gave up their interest in the pews.

17th November 1778, ditto to build a gallery.

In 1779, ditto to build a gallery at the east end of the Church, and let the pews for the benefit of the minister.

5th June 1779, confirmation of allot ments of pews.

1st April 1790, faculty to new roof the church.

Augmented in 1731 with £200, and in 1756 with £200 -both by lot ; in 1810, with £200; in 1811, with £1,200; in 1812, with £200; and in 1821, with £800, all from the Parliamentary grant, by lot; and in 1822, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from Catherine Hall, Cambridge, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; in 1823, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the trustees of John Marshall, gent.; and in 1826, with £300, and £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £125, and lands worth £275 from the Rev. John Blackburn.

An Inclosure Act was passed 50th Geo.

A mortgage under Gilbert's Act of £595. 10s. will cease in 1848.

Mr. Hunter, in his Hallamshire, gives the inscriptions, and also a north view of the Chapel.

23rd October 1822, an additional burial-ground consecrated.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Registers for baptisms commence in 1719, for burials in 1734, and for marriages from 1734 to 1752. No further entries of marriages.

This Chapel was rebuilt under the Parliamentary grant, under peculiar circumstances. Architecture Gothic, with tower and pinnacles. Expense, £11,700. First stone laid 30th November 1822. Vide 2nd Report, page 7. Completed, vide 7th Report, page 3.

Elizabeth Grammar's gift, in 1720. Interest of £50 distributed amongst the poor on St. Thomas's day.

William Staniforth's gift, in 1786, bequeathed £50, (the interest thereof £2. 5s.) 10s., part thereof, to keep a vault and two tombs in repair, and the residue among the poor of Attercliffe on St. Thomas's day.

Elizabeth Fell's gift, in 1795, and Robert Clay's, in 1786. Dividends on £449. 3s. 4d. three per cents. applied for the general purposes of the Sunday School.

Poor and waste lands. Rent of about 3a. 2r. of land at Acres Hill, distributed at Christmas among the poor of Darnall. Also the interest of £60, being the produce of the sale of timber cut down, is distributed at the same time.

The sum of 2s. 10d. is paid by Samuel Staniforth, Esq. in respect of a slip of land left out on the inclosure ; and the sum of 4s. is paid by Mr. Cheetham, as interest of £4, agreed to be paid by him for a slip of land awarded in respect of the land at Acres Hill. These two annual sums are distributed with the rent of the poor's land.

Almshouses. Four cottages, occupied by four poor widows, placed therein by Samuel Staniforth, of Liverpool, Esq., from whom they receive a cart-load of coals and a guinea each at Christmas. The charity appears to be of a voluntary kind.

Samuel Staniforth's Oft, by will, dated 11th September 1815. Interest of £20 to the poor of the district of Darnall, in such manner as the overseers should think proper. -Vide 19th Report, page 596, and Hunter's Hallamshire, p. 242.

Post town: Sheffield.

Torre's MS. page 1117. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 264. Bawdwen's 'Domesday Book, page 153. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 238. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 182.

*1 Attercliffe with Darnall. In 1834, the population was returned at 12,609.

*2 Of which 1,024 are free sittings.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.