Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SHEFFIELD ST PAUL. Church dedication: ST. PAUL. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Population, vide St. Peter's ; Church-room, 1,200; Net value, £136.
Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.
Built in 1720 by voluntary subscription, to which Mr. Robert Downes, a goldsmith in Sheffield, contributed £1000 and settled £30 a year for the support of a minister. Difficulties arose respecting the patronage, which were not removed until an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1740, and it was consecrated 22nd May 1740.
Augmented in 1833 with £200, £200, £200, £200, and £200 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £1,000 by subscriptions.
The Church is in the Grecian style of architecture. It contains a fine-toned organ, and a beautiful monument by Chantry, to the memory of the Rev. Alexander Mackenzie.
No district has yet been assigned.
No glebe house.
Hunter's Hallamshire, page 157.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.