Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Garden Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Garden Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

Sheffield-Garden Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.


This church was originally formed by the secession, in 1801, of several members from Queen Street and Howard Street. They first met in Coalpit Lane, and removed to this chapel, which had been built in 1780 by a body of Independent Methodists, under the ministry of Rev. Mr. Bristol. On the 31st March, 1803, the Methodist trustees sold the chapel to the Rev. A. Bell, and on April 3, that gentleman and his congregation removed to it.

The following have been the ministers-

  • 1802. Rev. ARCHIBALD BELL, from Wellington, After his coming the people withdrew to Garden-street, which they had bought from the Methodists. Mr. B. left through illness, 1805.
  • 1806. Rev. JOHN MARTON. He remained till 1809.
  • 1810. Rev. MARK DOCKER, from Whitby, where he had been an itinerant. He remained at Sheffield nineteen years, and left, 1829, for Thorne, but afterwards returned, and became chaplain to the Dissenter's portion of the General Cemetery. He died Feb. 14, 1853, aet. 74.
  • 1830. Rev. J. SPEAKMAN.
  • Dec. 5, 1841. Rev. SAMUEL BELLAMY (Highbury Acy.), from Leeds. Mr. B. removed to Buckingham, 1851.
  • May 31, 1851. Rev. H. THOMAS, B.A. (Homerton Acy. and London Univ ), from Thetford, now at Derby.
  • Nov., 1851. Rev. H. F. RUSTEDT. After his departure the chapel was let to the Wesleyan Reformers, until, by the aid of the Independent churches in the town, the cause was revived.
  • Nov. 28, 1852 Rev. S. DUNN.
  • 1865. Rev. R. STAINTON. Recognized June 26, 1865. Under his ministry the cause has so greatly prospered that a large new chapel has been erected on the old site. It was opened Nov., 1867. Mr. S. is the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.