Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Howard Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Howard Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

Sheffield-Howard Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.


On the introduction of Rev. John Harmer to Nether Chapel (1780) some of the congregation withdrew, and among others Mr. E. Bennett, by whom Coalpit Lane* was erected. He became the pastor, with an assistant, neither of whom received any emolument from the congregation. The sums contributed were laid up for the erection of a chapel, and Mr. B. added £250. The chapel at Howard Street was built in 1790, and the congregation removed to it from Coalpit Lane. Mr. Bennett died Nov. 29, 1788.

The following have been the ministers -

  • 1789. Rev. -- BURGESS.
  • Rev.-- SLATTERIE, from Manchester.
  • -- Rev. MOSES TAYLOR.
  • 1797. Rev. J. REECE. "An amiable man, and most exemplary Christian." Mr. R. died Jan. 8, 1801.
  • 1803. Rev. S. BARNARD, from Hull. Mr. B. died June 6, 1807. More than 500 members of the congregation attended his funeral.
  • March, 1808. Rev. JAMES MATHER. He left Sheffield July 15, 1827, and died at Islington, London, May 25, 1840.
  • 1830. Rev. T. R. TAYLOR (Idle Acy.). Mr. T. was a man of exemplary piety and distinguished talent. After leaving Sheffield, he became classical tutor at Airedale College (see p. 188). He removed 1832.
  • 1832. Rev. JosEPH Fox, from Hull. Mr. F. left Sheffield 1835, and is now residing at Manchester.
  • Feb. 31, 1836. Rev. ROBERT SLATER BAYLEY, F.S.A. (Hoxton Acy.). Mr. B. left Sheffield June, 1846, and died at Hereford Nov. 15, 1859, æt. 58.
  • July 18, 1847. Rev. SAMUEL CLARKSON (Spring Hill Coll.). He removed August, 1851, and is now at Manchester.
  • Dec., 1851. Rev. J. J. SHRUBSOLE. He left Feb., 1855.
  • Oct. 12, 1856. Rev. R. C. LUMSDEN, F.R.G.S. Removed June 7, 1863.
  • Mar., 1864. Rev. C. CURTIS TYTE, Professor of Classics, Rotherham (from Doncaster), the present minister (in 1868).

* Coal-pit-lane has been successively a place of temporary refuge for many congregations till their more permanent chapels hat e been erected.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.