The Glossop Road Church possesses our only Sheffield Chapel which can lay claim to any architectural distinction. Its remarkably fine group of buildings had their beginning at Townhead, in a meeting called "to consider the recommendation of the deacons, that an additional Church be built in the neighbourhood of Glossop Road; and to gather a stronger cause than is possible at Townhead Street." The suggestion was unanimously adopted; the site was selected and foundation stones were laid on October 12th, 1869; the opening sermon was preached by Dr. McLaren, May 11th, 1871. The outlay of £10,500 was met in a few years.
The mother Church transferred its pastor, Rev., J. M. Stephens, B.A., with sixty-seven members, to undertake the new work. It met this weakening of its forces in a splendidly progressive spirit—" We express our high Christian regard for all our dear friends, with our earnest prayer that the smile of God may rest upon the two Churches." The Rev. John Bailey, B.A., became pastor in 1877, during whose service of seventeen years the schools were built at a cost of 4500.
He was succeeded by Rev. W. H. Ibberson (1896-1900), and Rev. J. Wolfenden, D.D. (1901-08). Glossop Road has given two sons to the missionary cause—Revs. Frank Darling and Richard Beedham, both of whom were faithful unto death in our great missionary crusade on the Congo. Its present minister is Rev. J. F. Matthews.