"SHERBURN IN ELMET, (given as "SHERBORN") a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 137 cm. 176 mm. from London, has a harbour for barges at the conflux of the Wherfe and Ouse, is a populous T. noted for its cherry-orchards; and for a hos. and sc. founded by Robert Hungate, for 24 orphans, who are each allowed 5 l. a year for their maintenance in lodging, boarding, cloathing, &c. from 7 to 15 years of age; when they are sent to the U. or apprentice to trades, for which there is a provision, which including the maintenance of the hos. amounts to 250 l. a year. The Mt. here is S. Fair Aug. 10. Here was a battle in 1645, bet. the forces of the K. and Pt. The Abps. of York, to whom K. Athelstan gave this T. had formerly a palace here. There is a Roman way, very high raised, from hence to Aberford, which is 4 m. There is a sort of stones here, very soft when just taken out of the quarries; but afterwards grow very hard."
"HUDDLESTON, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, below Towton and near Shirbourn, was the seat of Fr. Smith, alias Carrington, Esq; and is famous for a quarry of stone, reckoned the finest in England. When first dug out of it, it is very soft, but hardens by lying some time in the air. K. Hen. VII's. chapel at Westminster was built mostly of the stone fetched from hence."