BARNSLEY: Barnsley-Regent Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.
This commodious and beautiful chapel was erected at a cost of £6,500, and upwards of £1,000 have been since spent in providing additional school accommodation, an organ, &c.* The ministers of Regent Street have been-
- 1856. Rev. BENJAMIN BEDDOW (Rotherham Coll., from Burley) Removed to Newbury, May 6, 1861. Now at Wanstead.
- 1862. Rev. JOSEPH ODDY (from Dogley Lane). Removed to Whitworth, 1867.
- 1868. Rev. JAMES BROWNE, B.A. (London U., from Bamford).
* A handsome mural tablet has been erected in the building, bearing the following inscription :- "To the memory of William Shaw, Esq., who was born at Norsbro'-Dale (near Barnsley), and died at Stanley Hall, Nov. 29, 1859, in the 55th year of his age, and was interred at the Cemetery, Wakefield. Having in early life professed his faith in Christ, and through the Divine blessing being greatly prospered in business, he habitually and cheerfully contributed to many benevolent and Christian objects, and towards the close of his life he presented, as a thank-offering to the Lord, more than halt the cost of this building. The congregation worshipping here have erected this Tablet as an abiding record of his munificence and their gratitude."
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.