Hide

BARNSLEY: Barnsley-Salem Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

BARNSLEY-SALEM CHAPEL.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

In the absence of all efficient teaching in the old chapel, the Revs. Dr. Bennett and T. Smith, with the co-operation of the students of Rotherham College, attempted, about 1824, a new movement. After contending with difficulties of no common kind, a plot of ground was purchased, and a building, called "Salem Chapel " was erected. It was opened March 16, 1825; the preachers being Revs. Dr. Raffles, R. W. Hamilton, and E. Parsons, junior, of Halifax.

A Church was formed in 1826 by Revs. Mark Docker, of Sheffield, and John Orange, of Rotherham College.

  • 1828. Rev. JOHN ORANGE became the pastor. The congregation increased till the removal of Mr. O. to Newcastle, Dec., 1832.
  • 1834. Rev. JOSHUA ARMITAGE (Airedale Coll.). After upwards of six years of faithful service, Mr. A. retired to Elswick, Lancashire, where he still labours.
  • 1843. Rev. BENJAMIN BEDDOW (Rotherham Coll., from Burley).
During Mr. Beddow's ministry a new chapel was erected in Regent Street, calculated to accommodate about 750 hearers. It was opened Sept. 25, 1856, by Revs. G. W. Conder, Dr. George Smith, and Dr. Alexander, and the congregation removed thither.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.