BARNSLEY: Barnsley Zion Baptist Church History up to 1912.



Zion Church, Barnsley, is the child of Sheffield Road. Preaching services had been held in this part of the town from the year 1861, but it was not until 1882 that the Sheffield Road Church appointed a committee to establish permanent work. A chapel in Parker Street was opened in 1885. In 1894, the new cause entered upon an independent career; twenty-seven members were dismissed from the parent Church to carry on the work, with Rev. W. R. Ponton as pastor.

In 1896, it was necessary to build a larger chapel, and land was purchased on Racecommon Road. Mr. Ponton, who left in 1897, was succeeded by Rev. F. J. Tranter. The new school chapel was opened in 1900, the Parker Street building having been sold for £400. Mr. Tranter removed to Sheffield, and the Church, together with the County Association, called Mr. W. Palmer, of Rawdon College, to its ministry. Zion has just completed a great effort to extinguish the remaining liabilities of her building fund, and is rejoicing in the fact that she is now—for the first time in her history—liberated from the burden of debt

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley