Area, 14,530 acres. Staincross wapentake. -Population, 16,561 *1; Church-room, 540 *2; Net value, £272. -This Church, with the Chapel of Cawthorne and six ox-gangs of land, was given by Sweine FitzAilric, to the Priory of Pontefract, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, Kal. April 1284, reserving to the Archbishop the nomination of the Vicar. In 1307, touching the repairs of the steeple, it was ordained that the parishioners should do two parts, and the Vicar the third. In 1479, the steeple was rebuilt, and in future the Prior and Convent were to defray two-thirds of the repairs thereof, and the parishioners one-third. A new ordination was made 29th August 1425.
Patron, the Archbishop of York.
In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the Church is valued at £57. 6s. 8d., and the Vicarage at £28. 13s. 4d. In the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £17. 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 404, at £70. 6s. 8d. per annum.
There was a Chantry in this Church.
There were unreported decrees in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 34th Elizabeth, and in Easter Term, 5th Jac. I.
Inclosure Acts were passed 42nd Geo. III. (Silkstone and Hoyland Swain) ; 46th Geo. III. (Dodsworth) ; and 53rd Geo. III. (Thurgoland.)
For the arms, inscriptions, and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire, also Bodleian MS.
A mortgage of £780 under Gilbert's Act, will cease in 1837.
15th March 1811, a faculty was granted to effect a certain exchange.
The glebe house is fit for residence ; built under faculty dated 1st November 1806.
The Register Books commence in 1558. Some chasms in the early ones.
Cutler's charity, founded by the will of Thomas Cutler, dated 7th January 1622, and the will of Ellen Cutler, dated 27th November 1633, and regulated by decree in Chancery, made on the 29th January 1783. Endowment, 11a. 3r. 20p. of land, and £350 three per cent. consols. The income is distributed in small sums among the poor, with a preference to such as receive no parochial relief.
The Rev. John Clarkson's charity, by deed, dated 12th February 1754, for instructing fifteen poor children in reading, writing, and arithmetic. Endowment ; house, cottage, and five acres of land.
Francis Wood's gift. Interest of £70 among the poor.
Stones's charity, vide Cumberworth. 6s. 8d. per annum is distributed with the Communion money.
TOWNSHIP OF DODWORTH.
The Charity Fund-Brookes' and others' Charities. The dividends of £759.3s. 9d. three per cent. consols, purchased with £200 left by John Brookes, by will, in 1750: £50 left by William Hobson, in 1758 ; £50 left by William Garlick, in 1799 ; £40 given by Mrs. Heatherington; and £50 left by Charles Brooke, in 1790; and the dividends are applied as follows ; £11 for teaching ten poor children to read ; £9. 19s. 6d. towards clothing such children ; and £1. 16s. to the poor on St. Thomas's day.
TOWNSHIP OF THURGOLAND.
Dole, donor unknown. Rent-charge of 10s. per annum, out of a farm at Coates, belonging to William Smith, Esq., for the poor.
John Couldwell's dole. Rent. charge of 10s. per annum for the poor.
Poor's land, between two and three acres. Bought with the sum of £40 left by Francis Wood. Rent distributed among the poor not receiving parochial relief. -Vide 17th Report, page 760.
Post town: Barnsley.
Torre's MS. page 1043. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 271. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Mon. Ang. vol. v. page 118. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 220. Nonae Roll, page 224.
*1 Viz. Barnsley, 10,330; Cumberworth,1,374; Dodworth, 1,179; Hoyland Swaine, 748; Silkstone, 1,010; Stainbrough, 304; Thurgoland, 1,147; and part of West Bretton, 427. In 1834, the Population, exclusive of Barnsley and Cumberworth Chapelries, was returned at 4,389. Cawthorne is not included, being considered in the Population return es a separate parish. The collieries in the townships of Barnsley and Silkstone flourish greatly, and respectively employ 550 and 140 men; to these, and increasing linen manufacture, the increase of Population (2,833 persons) is attributable. The Chapelry of West Bretton is partly in Great Sandall parish, lower Agbrigg wapentake. Cumberworth Chapelry includes that part of Skelmanthorpe which is in the parish of High Hoyland. Cumberworth is partly in Kirkburton parish, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake.
*2 In 1818, returned at 790.