Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: STAINBOROUGH.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.

Staincross wapentake. - Population, vide Silkstone ; Chapel-room, no return ; Net value, no return.

Patron, the Vicar of Silkstone.

This is an ancient Chapel.

An augmentation in land was made under the will of Thomas Cutler, dated 7th January 1622, who left £300 for that purpose.

Registers. -No return.

Charity:
Free School. The master occupies a small house and garden, given by a family of the name of Cutler ; and also a yearly rent-charge of £8 given by the same family, to which, at the time of the Report, Mr. Wentworth added a voluntary subscription. About fifteen free scholars in reading and writing. -Vide 17th Report, page 769.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 262.


Notes:
*1 This is placed in the Archdeacon's Call, and also in the MS. List in the Archbishop's Registry, as within Doncaster Deanery.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.