SILKSTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"SILKSTONE, a parish in the W.R. of Yorkshire."
"BARNSLEY, (given as BARNESLEY) in the parish of Silkstone, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 10 m. from Doncaster and Wakefield, and 136 cm. and 175 mm. from London, in the road from thence to Richmond. 'Tis about 5 furlongs in length, on the side of a hill. It drives a considerable trade in wire, and hard wares made of iron and steel. The T. though it is well built of stone, is called Black-Barnesley; but whether from its forges, which are continually smoaking, or from the neighbouring moors, which have a sooty aspect, like black heath, is not certain. Here is a Fair Sept. 14. Mt. on W."
"STAINBOROUGH, in the parish of Silkstone, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 2 m. N. of Tankersley, anciently bel. to a family of its own name, and then successively to the Everinghams and Cutlers; but now here is a most elegant seat of the E. of Strafford, to whom it gives title of baron."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]