Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BOLTON. Church dedication: ST. MARY AND ST. CUTHBERT.
Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. - Population, 112 *1, vide Skipton; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £111.
Patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire.
Valued in 1707, at £32. 10s.; and in 1818, at £46. 1s. 11d. per annum.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 212, the Commissioners remark that there is " A spacious Church of the late dissolved Priory at Bolton, four miles distance from Skipton, but no profits belonging to it. We think, in regard of the distance of Bolton from Skipton Church, and the many inhabitants in Bolton, that it be made a parish, and the township of Halton, part of the same parish, and within the constablery of Bolton, be annexed thereto, it being nearer Bolton, and both will make a sufficient congregation."
Augmented in 1814, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; in 1816, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Rev. William Carr, the incumbent, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; and in 1817, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the said Rev. William Carr, the Incumbent.
Dr. Whitaker, in his History of Craven, gives a detailed account of the Charities and Church, with plates of the Abbey, &c.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1689.
The Free School of the Hon. Robert Boyle, founded by the Earl of Burlington, by deed, dated 29th June 1700. Endowment : 53a. 2r. 35p. of land, some cottages, and a rent-charge of £20 per annum. All children in the neighbourhood, if the parents desire it, are regularly instructed in the Latin and Greek tongues. Between twenty-five and thirty children are gratuitously taught reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Cumberland's dole. £3 per annum to poor housekeepers not receiving parochial relief.
Earl of Burlington's charity. Rentcharge, £5 per annum to the master of Bolton school. Vide Boyle's Free School. -Vide 3rd Report, pages 253 (Appendix) and 509.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 597. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 123 and 337. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 201. Whitaker's Craven, page 368. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 386.
*1 In 1834, returned at 843.
*2 According to the return in 1834 (for 843). In 1818, returned at 815.
PRIORY. -The Austin Canons' Priory of Bolton was founded in 1220 by William de Meschines and Cecily de Romeli, his wife, Baroness of Skipton.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.