"SLAIDBURN, a parish and township in the W. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 9 miles N. of Clitheroe, its post town, and 13 WI. of Settle. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Hoddon. The parish includes the townships of Bowand, Forest, Easington, and Newton. It once had a chantry at Hamerton, founded in the chapel of St. Mary by Stephen de Hamerton in 1332. The soil consists of limy clay upon a subsoil of limestone. The lands are chiefly in pasture, and great numbers of cattle are reared in the moorland district. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Dale Head annexed, in the diocese of Ripon, value £336. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure with a low square tower containing six bells. There is also a chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Peter. The register dates from 1654. The parochial charities produce about £80 per annum. There is an endowed grammar school, founded in 1717 by John Brennand, and in which a Sunday school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Townley, Esq., is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the Wednesday prior to Easter Sunday."
"BATTRIX, a hamlet in the township of Bowland Forest, and parish of Slaidburn, in the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the S.W. of Settle."
"EASINGTON, a township in the parish of Slaidburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Clitheroe, its post town. It is situated on the river Hodder, and constitutes a hilly moorland district, affording tolerable pasturage for cattle and sheep. There is a district church, dedicated to St. James. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £57, in the patronage of the Rector of Slaidburn. There is an endowed school for the children of the place."
"HARROP, a hamlet in the township of Low Bowland Forest and parish of Slaidburn, West Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Clitheroe."
"HIGH BOWLAND FOREST, a township in the parish of Slaidburn, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the S. W. of Settle. It is one of the largest townships in England, extending over an area of 17,800 acres, and including the hamlets of Dunsap and Battrix. The parish of Slaidburn, with that of Mitten and part of Whalley, formed the ancient Bowland (or Bolland) Forest, on the banks of the river Hodder. Within the present century it was the haunt of wild deer. The office of head-forester is hereditary in the Parker family, whose seat is Browseholme Hall, near the village. The district is now enclosed and under tillage. It formed part of the honour of Clitheroe."
"NEWTON, a township in the parish of Slaidburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Clitheroe, and 15 S.W. of Settle. It is situated on the river Hodder. There is a National school for both sexes, in which Divine service is performed on Sundays."